Thursday, April 11, 2013

Iodophanus carneus. 11-04-13

Iodophanus carneus.


This little fungus has been puzzling me for a while now, until I finally identified it today using a book that I have borrowed from Michael
It has been growing very happily on my rabbit dung and multiplying in great numbers. I think the reason it has taken me so long to identify it, is due to the fact it doesn't feature in many popular fungi identification books. However, it is widespread and common and can be found on  different types of dung and also on rotting vegetation.









When I viewed them under the microscope I could clearly see the eight spores which, are elliptic and hyaline, in one or two irregular rows in the ascus. Asci are broadly clavate, and stained blue in Melzers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment