Friday, November 22, 2013

Hardcastle Crags 19-11-13

I went to the Crags hoping to spot the Herald of Winter amongst the pines but yet again I didn't find it - one day maybe! Instead I found my first Onygena corvina which was quite exciting, but at the time I wasn't sure what it was and I thought it may be a Cordyceps species, so I asked Chris Yeates who identified it for me. It is a keratin-decomposing fungus that digests the fur and feathers contained in the droppings of vertebrate animals and I can tell you that this scat smelled absolutely awful.



Feather Stalkball (Onygena corvina) - in situ above and taken later at home below. Thank you Chris for the identification.





Conifer Conecap (Baeospora myosura) above and below.





Common Rustgill (Gymnopilus penetrans).


Chaetosphaerella phaeostroma - above and spores below.





Wrinkled Crust (Phlebia radiata).

No comments:

Post a Comment